Friday, June 10, 2005

No MSG here..

A lateral associate, who's is very close to partner has me working on a big federal suit involving trademark infringement. 430pm today was our deadline to file our MSJ. Coincidentally, the partner i've been working on the land use digest article comes to me and says that the digest article (which i finished two weeks ago but he failed to edit) is due at 4pm.

Keep in mind that I need to be political here. Do I appease the partner who more likely in control of my impending career with the firm, or do I help the associate file his msj wholly knowing he isnt helping my career too much?

I did the right thing. I helped the partner until the last possible second until I had to leave to file the MSJ. As I was leaving, I told the partner what needed to be done on the digest article, and he wanted to know where I was going. I told him we had a really expensive federal case which needed to be filed and it shut him up real quick. Nothing talks louder to a stodgy partner than cashola.

Needless to say, he finished the article, I filed my first federal MSJ ever and I got home in time to watch Doogie Houser reruns. The ironic thing is that Doogie used to write on a journal on his computer about 10 years before any blog came out. Thats irony.

For my non-legal readers: MSJ means Mayonaise Sanwich Jurisprudence. Its a type of legal argument used in suits against food companies.

No comments: