Saturday, June 04, 2005

Fine, Maybe you can handle the truth.

I rode the train home with an associate that was very influential before I left for law school. I was lucky enough to catch a few trials of his before I left the firm last summer, and after seeing him, I knew I wanted to be a litigator.

On the train ride home he confessed to me that he hates his career. If he could go back and do it again, he wouldnt.

I am usually pretty unbreakable with my opinions, but his outright contempt for the profession struck me pretty hard. I didnt especially like the hours of studying that I did my first year, and I really didnt like most of my fellow classmates. Now that I am the real world and working 12 hours a day, Im not too sure whether I like the work either.

One thing I do know however, is that to be upper middle class in this country you need a good job. I have given up on finding one that I will "love" because no one will pay a short, white guy $100k a year to play basketball and blog. So either way, you will work your ass off one way or another if you plan on living large. I happen to be good at the qualities that make lawyers successful, so for now this is my thing.

I have been feeling this for a while, but didnt know how to say it without incurring a huge backlash.

4 comments:

Ems said...

I second that motion - I'm hoping though there is an area I will like and be able to pay off my loans! You'll be fine!

Anonymous said...

i know what u mean...hang in there. you're awesome. -J.

Abogada said...

You know you don't ever have to do anything that makes you unhappy.

Anonymous said...

Goddamnit! For the millionth time! You're not short, you're hobbitesque!

Remember, when this line of work gets you down, replay the fighting montage from Karate Kid in your head and just imagine that each of those memos you have to write is a blonde haired Cobra Kahn. Then kick his ass like a black belt who got trained up in three weeks.

-straight dOPE