Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Flashback

Remember that first day of law school? That nervousness in the pit of your stomach, the feeling that has been absent in your life since the first day of highschool. Looking all around paranoid that everyone is smarter, better looking, and more successful. Envious that maybe their mullet might scream Nascar louder than yours. Your first few hours in class you found a deep respect for someone who answered a question brilliantly, only to learn later in the term that they are a f'ing moron and you would love to see them drop their laptop.

That first case you briefed looked the the entire restatement of contracts, but no one, not even your mother could have told you that it had too much information in it. I put mine up on the fridge for all the cockroaches in my apartment to see. Hell, even the crackhead that lives in the dumpster behind the apartment said my briefs were good; He used them to roll a joint.

But here we are. I thought i knew everything before school started. Now, after one term under my belt, I definitely know everything. Just two years ago I was sitting with my frat bro's pondering the theme of the next party (what you non greeks call a meat market). My point is this, choosing whether to have guests wear saran wrap or togas is hard when you have no clue where life will be taking you in a few short months. Knowing that life was going to twist us all in different directions, made each and every keg stand that more precious.

Its really kind of sitcomish how things turned out. Me, i chose law school. One friend chose Jr. Investment Banking, another marketing. A real close frat friend of mine now sings opera at at top rated music school in the country. Get us all in the same room and you would never tell that we have ambitions for success. After all look at Britney. She found success and she cant shake the trailer park.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, im noticing law school changing my peers and I. Its nice to have good friends and memories to look back on, even if most of them involve extreme amounts of alcohol, and the distinct odor of vomity mouthed sorority girls. Hope all my friends are enjoying the holidays, and to my readers, thanks for the support.

To my law school buds: Here's to another successful term and a long cold winter, only comforted by the fact that we still have two more years of this crap and we aint getting any younger.

No comments: