Friday, January 07, 2005

Should I send a fruit basket?

I sent away my cover letter and resume to the firm today. For the new readers, I worked for a fairly prestigious firm last summer as a file clerk. I schmoozed my way into getting treated like a summer clerk by the partners, much to the chagrin of my coworkers. Before leaving for law school I told the hiring manager that I wanted to summer clerk for them even though I only will have one year under my belt. He and I were on a fairly close terms, I mean we even discussed how he met his wife, tips for picking up law school chicks, etc, so I think we wasnt Bs'ing me. He told me that he wanted me to send him my grades as soon as first term was up. That was a large part of my reason for spending first term intimately dating my textbooks. Now the ball is in his court.

It would be really great for my resume to work for the firm after only 1 year of law school. It would open doors for me my 2nd summer, doors that might be geographically isolated if I dont transfer. Most of my 1L compadres have little or no hope of a legal summer job. Im hoping I can be one of the lucky few that get fortunate enough to get a legal position and get some cashola too. Im debating telling the hiring partner that I will work for free part time if they reject me. I doubt he would turn that down. Im not counting myself out yet. I wonder if I should send out some more resumes. Word is that the market is flooded in my hometown. I guess it couldnt hurt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck and great job on the schmoozing and networking!