Thursday, January 27, 2005

How Far Will Two Cents Go?

I just finished my personal statement. It has been refined and looked over many times. My best writing on it came while being frustrated with homework. I had a few attorneys look at it and I hope the admissions board looks favorably on it. All I need to do is wait for class rank to come out.

For those who put a lot of stock into what other law students say, stop freaking out. I no longer read the yahoo group for transfers. The only credible sources are people who have actually transferred from the school you left to the one you are going to. Even then, who knows why they were admitted. Stop freaking out and focus on this term. The curriculum is getting tougher. This is the part of the school year where dedication and work ethic count like never before. Ive noticed a lot of my peers slacking off this term. Conditional letters of acceptance will suck those who dont take this term seriously.

Its also been a while since I reflected on how this term is treating me. I have met great people here. I am getting a great education. If for some reason I dont transfer I am still going to be a great attorney with great friends. Life is good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your naive view of the transfer process is almost laughable.

alex_slander the gr8 said...

Do you care to share what part exactly is "almost laughable"? Or maybe explain my "naiveness". I cant wait to be educated.

Anonymous said...

That you actually think you're going to get some sort of decision based purely on your fall grades. Unless you're applying to Georgetown - its just not happening (yet). You have to wait just like everyone else. I was fired up to transfer last year too and cranked out the applications super early. What did I end up doing? Waiting until Spring grades came out. Schools just don't make transfer decisions based on one semester of grades. It was worth the wait though. I transfered to my No. 1 choice.

alex_slander the gr8 said...

Congrats on getting to your #1 school. Do you think there is a chance that im not shooting for Tier 1 school? Or could there be a chance that you might not be as well researched as you say you are. I am sending out three applications. One schools is at the end of the first tier, and expressely states that they will take applications as soon as first term is finished. The other two are T2's that again, both state that they take applications after first term. Further, all three state that if they like the application they will admit, but if the grades are marginal, they might give conditional acceptance based on the outcome of 2nd term grades.

One other point. I am trying to go to the west coast. Is this where you are? I realize you have lived the dream and made it and for that I applaud you. For people like me, I refuse to be pessimistic until I get the letter in the mail. Until then, good luck.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I'm at a UC so I was pretty damn thrilled. Are you sure you're not confusing "Spring Admissions" with accepting applications early? Spring Admissions is usually for people who've taken a semester off and then apply to transfer. They've already got 2 semeters of law school grades to include with their applications. I was on the East Coast and wanted to go to the West Coast as badly as you do. I called every last freaking school and I can't think of a single one that would give a decision based on 1 semester of grades (any tier). More power to ya if ya found some though. Would have been nice last year - I sweated it out all Spring and summer hoping to God I would get out of my hell hole law school. Good Luck - I don't mean to sound rude. It's just that the whole transfer process SUCKS. Although, I'm happy with how it turned out for me...