Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Hard Work

In a little under two months, I will be starting my 1L. To gain as much information as I can before I go, I am constantly scouring the web in my free time. Site after site, I am overwhelmed by the rampant pessimism from most students. Its not that they hate studying law. The just cant get over the fact that some people have better grades and go to better schools. Prestige and salary seem to be the dominant reasons for working in biglaw.

I never thought I would see the day when my crappy grades and middle class background would serve me well in the legal field, but I have found it. I will tell you why it serves me well. While other students are crying about their tier 2 law school slipping rankings, I am thankful that I got into law school in the first place, no matter what tier school I am attending in the fall. Other 2 and 3Ls complain that they will only be making $$$ when they work for the 2nd best biglaw firm in their city. I've heard of associates turning down jobs at firms where they could be happy at, just so they can go make 9k more at a larger, "cooler" firm, that will work them 20 more hours per week. There is more to life than money. I dont have very much money, so I had to find other things to love.

Don't get me wrong. I want to be rich. Hard work lies ahead. And if for some reason I don't have money flying out every orifice in my body, then the fault will lie in my own hands. From all my experiences, hard work will eventually overcome any obstacle. Sadly, I will not be quitting law school to play in the NBA, nor will I be a traveling oil boy for the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Team. These are achievements that very few attain. Every Partner at the firm has reiterated the same thing. Schools matter a little. Grades matter the MOST. I presented all of the Partners with my background, school, etc., and they all agreed that being at the top of your class no matter where you go is better than being average at a great school.

With enough encouragement and motivation to last me a while, I am on cloud 9. Determined to be successful at law school, I cant wait to give a pessimistic 1L some advice. EAT MORE FIBER.

No comments: