Thursday, June 17, 2004

Bling Bling

With a BS in Business, filing wasn't my first choice for starting my legal career, but I soon learned that taking a file clerk position at a prestigious law firm has many perks. The single greatest are the networking possibilities. Being privy to many confidential conversations, I have witnessed attorney arguments, gossip, and all the other transactions that make this world go by.

Every free chance I get, I am pressing these attorneys for knowledge. It's hard being so green in this industry. Some of the attorneys wont even make eye contact with me let alone acknowledge my presence. I am in awe at how much self-loathing goes on around here. Attorney's hate other attorneys. They tell me to reconsider being a lawyer. The secretaries tell me they hate their jobs. NEWSFLASH PEOPLE. This is no different from any other workplace. Work sucks unless you are fortunate enough to do something you love. I happen to enjoy arguing with people, and have a very quick wit. Combine this with a legal education and I think that I will make a good attorney. I wonder if these lawyers cry when they get their monthly bank statements?

The hardest part for me is going to be choosing which area of practice that I want. I am not one of those people who "falls into" things. Yes, I have been stuck sometimes but I find a way to plan my goals. Right now I want to help society. Prosecution best fits my personality and helps me attain this goal. On the other hand, I went to lunch with a friend the other day who just purchased a new BMW. I HATE materialistic people, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't like the attention the car got us. How do you pick between doing well for society, and having gobs of money and arm candy? Unfortunately, my two brains are conflicted in this matter. I hope law school will help with this decision.

No comments: