Thursday, October 21, 2004

Gaining Momentum

Midterms are finally over. With a good grade in each, I feel confident that I am picking up the relevent topics in class. Today I went and met with Professor Property who happens to be the son of the founder of our school, a judge, and a very interesting well spoken guy. We talked future interests for a while, then transitioned into litigation, and eventually it came to the finer things in life, women and beer. His advice was simple, which I am reluctantly sharing with you all. Find a part of the law you love. Shh, dont tell anyone. I am looking forward to being a litigator, and hope that my contribution to the court room will be both entertaining and inspiring as the lawyers I am posturing myself around are.

Its time to start building momentum to head into the last part of the term with. Many students in our class are dropping like flies. We are covering the most substantive parts of the curriculum and many students are gone, absent, and not paying attention. A little extra work now should help in the long run. The one thing 1L's forget, or maybe even dont know how to do, is relax. The insecurity of leaving your books behind and relaxing eats away at you. It nags your soul into submission. Ive learned to take breaks. Ive learned that the weekend can be catchup time, but it also can be get ahead time. What is the point of studying 8 hours after class when your brain is not ready to learn? Its almost futile in my opinion. So this week I put the pen down early, relaxed, and planned my next few weeks. Saturday morning, bright and early, I will be in the library blazing ahead, and solidfying the material.

I remember reading 1L the summer before I came to school. The chapter about learning to love the law really stuck with me. I am at that point, maybe for the first time in my career when I am actually interested in the material, and for all the right reasons. I dont look at a long assignment anymore with dread. I look at it as a chance to know something not too many people get to know in their lifetime. Cheesy, I know, but true. When you go through this year of hell, you will understand how it changes the way you think.

My favorite uncle sent me 86lbs of canned goods in the mail today. I would say that if anybody in the local midwest needs some soup, or chili, c'mon over. Life is good. Hope it snows soon.

2 comments:

Evan said...

I've discovered that I really enjoy Criminal Law. So much so that I'm seriously considering applying to the local DA's office after graduation. It would be a pay cut but doing work you enjoy is priceless.

alex_slander the gr8 said...

very hypocritical on my part to criticize slackers while I play the dot game, but c'mon, intro drags on and on. there is barely any eye candy in the room to begin with.